Mr Ollier uses this example to look more generally to potential problems facing Chinese companies who have set their eyes on expansion abroad:
- prior trademark registrations;
- high cost of international filings;
- the need to translate their name or rebrand altogether;
- lack of awareness within the company about the importance of brand protection;
- in some cases: becoming sufficiently innovative to make the move from OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to creating a distinctive, valuable brand.